Update on Uganda: Next Steps
Dear REACH Supporters and Partners,
Previously, we shared with you how REACH has been responding to the pandemic. We wanted to share the next steps for the school, our students, and our teachers to ensure learning takes place in a safe environment. REACH has taken this as an opportunity for the organization to strengthen policies and safeguard programs for the future.
- When schools open, the government will require social distancing of 4 meters (13 feet) in the classrooms.
- Large assemblies will be avoided. Instead, public announcements will be made via a loudspeaker.
- Student lunches will be staggered to maintain social distancing and will be served in different locations, or brought into classrooms.
- Play hours will be regulated and teachers will introduce in-door activities limited to a few children with activities that comply with social distancing.
- P6 and P7 will be offered boarding to help make up for lost learning time
- REACH will be providing food to the most needy children. These children are already identified, teachers and community members will identify others.
- REACH will provide food to the most vulnerable members of the community, including patients on HIV and diabetes, orphans, and the elderly.
Looking to the Future
Our Team in Uganda has taken a critical look at current operations and made recommendations to enhance access, to ensure that beyond a pandemic, REACH can respond rapidly and safely to any issues the school may face. These include developing digital platform service for operations as well as e-learning and distance learning, enhancing solar lighting, transportation resources, food security, and enhancing health practices such as hand washing.
We have provided funding to move forward with the solar energy project. This project will provide solar lighting for the Arlington Junior School, the library as well as both of our health clinics. This is a major milestone and we thank Board member Audrey Whittington and the Cutler Family Foundation for their generous gifts to make this solar project a reality.
How you can Help
In the coming weeks, we will be providing more information on how you can help REACH reach its goals. We thank you for your continued support.
If you have any questions about your student, please call the office (703) 879-6034 and talk with Myriam or Courtney.
Thank you again for your continued concern and support and please stay safe,
President, Board of Directors